Social media. It’s everywhere and it’s become an accepted, everyday part of modern life. A huge trend for the last decade, “foodstagramming” shows no sign of slowing down and businesses across the globe are capitalising on the advertising opportunities it brings. Whilst consumers the world over continue to snap photos of their meals and share them with their online network, businesses vie to gain their attention through jaw-dropping presentations and wow factor backdrops.
With social media still such a relevant marketing method, we thought we’d share some key facts and figures about these marketing marvels.
In one day more than 3.2 billion images are shared by social media users and 720,000 hours of video are shared!
There are 4.74 billion active social media users. Yep, you read that right – more than half of all the people on earth use social media.
On average, Gen Z and millennials have 8.5 social media accounts each!
The average time spent on social is 2hrs 28mins, each day.
Men aged 55-64 are the demographic that uses social media the least.
Women aged 16-24 years old use social media the most, spending an average of 3 hours and 10 minutes per day on social media!
Because Instagram is a highly visual platform, it’s an excellent marketing tool for showcasing innovative, interesting, and beautiful products. The food industry enjoys enormous success from adding Instagram engagement to their marketing plan and the platform is a great way to expand your business's reach.
- Instagram now boasts over 1.3 billion monthly active users.
- Around 32% of its users are aged between 25 and 30.
- You might be surprised to learn that Instagram is only the 4th most popular social networking site.
- 50% of Instagram users say that they’ve visited a brand’s website after viewing their Stories.
- 90% of Instagram users follow a business.
- 81% of Instagram users say that it helps them to research products and services.
One of Facebook’s biggest strengths is allowing you to target a specific audience through paid campaigns and advertisements. The platform maintains a significant amount of information about its users, which can be advantageous when targeting ads.
- Facebook boasts 2.93 billion monthly active users which is 36% of the world’s total population!
- Reportedly, 2.18 billion of these users can be reached by ads.
- Almost 20% of Facebook’s worldwide users are men aged 25-34.
- People around the world, spend an average of 19.7 hours per month using Facebook.
- Facebook is the second most popular social media channel, coming just behind WhatsApp.
Using Twitter can help you research trends and topics that matter to your audience allowing you to engage with them more effectively. Twitter also allows you to share information quickly and start conversations with your target audience.
- Twitter sees 6,000 Tweets every second. This puts into perspective how actively people are using it as a conversation platform.
- However, 92% of all Tweets are made by just 10% of users!
- Twitter is more popular with millennials than Gen Z
- The primary reason Twitter users utilise the app is to keep up to date with news and current events.
- The number of Twitter users worldwide is expected to decrease by 5.1% in 2024.
TikTok creates a fun and interesting way for customers to interact with your business making it a very effective platform for advertising products. Often viewed as the social media platform of the younger generation, TikTok is one of the fastest-growing social media platforms available.
- As of 2020, 24% of 15–25-year-olds use the platform to create and consume video, making it an ideal platform for interacting with Gen Z.
- TikTok users worldwide spend an average of 22.9 hours per month on the app.
63% of TikTok ads with the highest click-through rate, share their message within the first 3 seconds.
- Google’s Senior Vice President said that 40% of young people go to TikTok or Instagram when looking for a place to eat instead of Google Maps or Search
- It’s Projected There Will be 15 million UK TikTok Users in 2025
Video has become an extremely powerful marketing medium and due to this; YouTube is growing faster than any other platform out there.
- YouTube is responsible for more than 25% of total worldwide mobile traffic by volume.
- After Google, YouTube is the most visited site in the whole world. In Jan 2020 alone, the site received over 20 billion visits!
- YouTube boasts an average of 23.4 hours per user, per month spent on the video platform, the most time out of all social platforms.
- The video platform is used by 95% of US teens, making it the most popular social media platform among Gen Z.
- 68% of users watched YouTube to help them make a purchase decision.
Pinterest is not just a platform for discovery and inspiration, it is also a tool to help people start new projects. 85% of its users use the platform when starting a new project–whether that's home improvement, planning a holiday, wedding, or business venture.
- 1% of Pinterest’s ad audience is female so if your products or services are predominantly targeted towards the female market then it’s a great choice!
- The number of Gen Z and male users on Pinterest has increased by 40% year-on-year.
- The main reason people use Pinterest is to follow or research brands and products.
- 80% of weekly users have discovered a new brand or product on Pinterest.
- 80% of Pinterest Predicts trends come true each year.
We ourselves encourage customers to use their branded greaseproof paper to benefit from social media. Ensuring your logo is seen in every consumer photo is vital, especially when you can’t rely on being tagged. For help on how to make your greaseproof design boost your social media presence, get in touch with the team!